- 8 ounces (190 grams) uncooked whole-grain penne pasta
- 8 cups (6 ounces or 240 grams) fresh baby spinach
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (365 grams) low-fat (2%) milk
- 4 ounces (120 grams) low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce or 28 grams) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups (280 grams) shredded or chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Cook pasta in boiling water in a large soup pot for 8 minutes or until tender; remove from heat. Add spinach and let stand 15 to 30 seconds, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted. Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in same pot over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add flour and cook 1 minute (mixture will be crumbly). Whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Add cream cheese, salt and pepper; stir until smooth. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until heated through. Combine pasta mixture and sauce in a large bowl. Serve immediately.
Image Credit: Lightened Chicken Alfredo