- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 1/2 teaspoons safflower oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 4 bone-in, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño chile pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted tomato paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil, and mist with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, 2 teaspoons oil, lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Using paper towels, pat chicken dry and place on prepared sheet. Brush chicken evenly with honey mixture. Roast for about 30 to 35 minutes, turning over halfway, until golden brown and chicken reaches 165°F when tested with an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part. Remove from oven, cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken to dip both sides in caramelized juices on sheet. (Alternatively, use a brush to brush on juices.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium-size saucepan on medium heat, heat remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, remaining 1/8 teaspoon chili powder and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, and sauté for 1 minute. Add beans and broth, and bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 25 minutes more. Stir in lime zest and 2 tablespoons cilantro.
- Divide beans among shallow bowls, and top each serving with 1 piece of chicken. Drizzle any remaining juices from baking pan over chicken, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro.
Image Credit: Sweet & Smoky Roasted Chicken and Beans