- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 pound (225 grams) skirt steak, trimmed
- 1/2 medium (55 grams) yellow onion, sliced
- 4 slices (30 grams each) Italian bread
- 4 slices(30 grams each) sharp cheddar
- 1 medium (120 grams) bell pepper, sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F, and spray a baking sheet with cooking oil. Season the steak with salt and pepper.
Preheat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat with cooking oil. When pan is hot enough for oil to slide around easily, add the steak. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until steak reaches desired doneness. Set aside until cool enough to handle; slice thinly.
Meanwhile, sauté onions in the same pan, on medium-high heat, until golden brown. Set aside.
Add the bread slices to the baking sheet. Top each bread slice with one slice of cheddar cheese. Bake for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
Layer the steak, onions, and bell peppers onto each bread slice, and serve.
Image Credit: Open-Faced Steak Sandwich