This list and set of instructions make approximately eight rolls, which is enough for 4 people. Or one. I highly recommend just making a lot more because you can eat this as it was originally intended, as a Cobb Salad, with whatever it leftover.
- 4 large rice paper wrappers, cut into 8 half-circles with kitchen shears
- large avocado, cut into half lengthwise and sliced thinly
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and cut on slight bias into 2-inch wide juliennes
- about 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced (had I thought ahead, I would have made long, thin cucumber ribbons, as we did here)
- 2 hard boiled eggs, cut lengthwise into 8 thin wedges
- 4 leaves green leaf or Romaine lettuce, ribs removed and sliced down the center into halves
- handful of parsley leaves (or other herbs)
- ¼ red onion, sliced paper thin
- 1 large ripe tomato cut into thin wedges
- Blue Cheese Vinaigrette Dip
- Fill a large heat-safe bowl with very hot water (boiling water is fine, but just make sure it cools enough for you to stick your fingers in it). Place a damp kitchen towel on a cutting board as your “work surface.”
- Dip ½ of a round rice paper wrapper in the water, and let it soak it until softened, about 1 minute. Remove the rice paper from the water and lay it flat on the towel with the straight (cut) edge at the top.
- About one-third of the way in from one of the sides, place one-half of a lettuce leaf “up” with the ruffled edges slightly longer than the wrapper, and another one-half of a lettuce leaf “down” with the ruffled edges slightly longer than the bottom of the wrapper.
- Place 2 slices of avocado, some julienned bacon, shredded chicken, sliced cucumber, 2 wedges of hard boiled egg, a few parsley leaves, red onion and a couple of tomato wedges.
- Fold the wrapper over the contents, and carefully roll up as tightly as you can without tearing the wrapper. Place on a plate seam side down (to keep in sealed).
- ** note ** Most people roll up Summer/Spring rolls like an eggroll or a burrito, with the ends tucked in and the filling encased inside, but I love the way these Summer Rolls look with the contents peeking out from either end.
- Serve Cobb Salad Summer Rolls immediately with Blue Cheese Vinaigrette Dipping Sauce.
Image Credit: Cobb Salad Summer Rolls